GETTING TO ISLAY
- FERRY Caledonian MacBrayne operate the twice daily 2 hour ferry crossing from Kennacraig to Port Ellen or Port Askaig. If you are bringing your car, it is advisable to make your reservation well in advance, especially at busy times of the year. For further information, go to calmac.co.uk
- CAR From Glasgow take the M8 west bound. Follow the signs for the Erskine Bridge/Loch Lomond. Once over the bridge, follow the Loch Lomond/Campbeltown road (A83). Continue on the A83 and the ferry terminal is approx 5 miles south of Tarbert.
- BUS A daily bus service operates from Glasgow Buchanan Street Bus Station. For further information go to citylink.co.uk
- AIR British Airways runs two daily flights (except Sunday, when there is one) from Glasgow Airport. The flight takes around 30 minutes. For further information go to flybe.com
Once you arrive on Islay, be it at Port Askaig or Port Ellen, follow the main road (A846) to Bridgend. At Bridgend take the A847 signposted for Port Charlotte and Portnahaven. After approx 5 and a half miles, you will arrive in the village of Bruichladdich. Drive past the 'mini market' and take the first turning on the right, signposted 'Conisby'. Eilean Dhachaidh is immediately to your left.
- Should you decide not to bring a car, there are a number of options open to you:
- Mundell's coaches and the Royal Mail operate a bus service which connects all the major villages. The bus timetables can be viewed on the Argyll and Bute Council website.
- A car hire service is available at the airport, operated by D & N McKenzie. If you would like to book a car, you should book ahead to ensure availability on your arrival. Contact John MacKenzie, Glenegedale, Isle of Islay on 01496 302300 or alternatively phone islaycarhire.com which is based at Bridgend on 01496 810544
- Andrew McEachern operates 'Bruichladdich Taxis' and can be contacted on 01496 850 271 or 07899 942673 or phone 'Rhinns Taxis' on 01496 850170 or 07771 921157
- Cycling is a great option too especially given that Islay is relatively flat and traffic tends to be light! Bicycles can be hired from Port Charlotte Bike Hire. Telephone 01496 850 488